Suggestions if you are out of Work: There is a chance since 6.5 people in the U.S. apply for every job that is offered that you MAY NOT get the same kind of job with the same kind of money. That MAY be a reality for a while.
However you may think that you are now going to be poor or in want forever. That is not true unless of course you choose to do nothing. Many unemployment laws prevent you from working to try out a job because then you lose your unemployment insurance money. What a ridiculous law!!! It stifles initiative.
You may have to take a job in an area of the economy which is growing. I did a bit of research and found a few areas of growth. Not well researched but at least some.
- Walmart and similar stores which have low prices. People who have had to abandon more expensive stores ended up shopping at Walmart.
- Dollar stores. Ditto like Walmart above
- Waste Management appears to be a growing area. I guess that makes sense since as we grow more waste is produced with less places to put it.
You may not want to apply at Walmart because the pay is so low that you could not support a family. May I say that it is NOT ALWAYS how much you get paid as it is HOW MUCH YOU KEEP!
David Bach in his book "The Automatic Millionaire" outlines a TRUE STORY of a couple that ended up with great wealth in spite of being an average Canadian couple. Yes, just average.
He was a low-level manager and she was a beautician whose joint income never exceeded $55,000 per year, yet who somehow manage to own TWO HOMES DEBT-FREE, put TWO KIDS THROUGH COLLEGE, and RETIRE at age 55 with MORE THAN A MILLION IN SAVINGS!!
How on earth can that happen? It is all choices. We make choices every day which increase or decrease our income. I was with a guy once that loved Tim Horton's coffee so much that inside of two hours he visited the shop twice while I was with him. I wonder how MANY more times he visited when I was not?
Do you wonder how that couple did it? Sorry I am NOT telling. Now YOU have a choice, to buy or to borrow from the library, one builds wealth and one decreases it. But I WOULD READ IT regardless as it is an unbelievable story compared to what we THINK you have to do to earn the big bucks!
A few suggestions for the unemployed:
- Volunteer at a business where you would like to work. Work hard. Show your best work skills. I know a young teacher that could not get a job out of college. So she volunteered in the school where I taught. Within 2 years she was employed as grade 4 teacher. The school knew her. They appreciated her help and saw her work skills and it was a natural to hire her when they had an opening. This can apply to almost any job.
- Get a job at a place like Walmart or any growing business. Isn't it possible if the job you start in does not pay well that you could move up if you prove your competence, good work skills and attitude? How about applying for a management trainee program in a store like Walmart. In spite of the economy I know of at LEAST two Walmarts that added store space. One in St. Catharines, Ontario and one in Attleboro, Massachusetts.
I just checked the at Walmart.ca under careers and I see that they have just added two stores, one in Sudbury and one in Alliston, ON.
Here are the opportunities they list:
The Eye Clinic - Doctor
Then they have a link to present offerings here
On this page there are 12 short pages of jobs listed!!!!
Here is the career page from Walmart USA
There are two choices: Ecommerce and Other.
Ecommerce located in Brisbane, CA lists these jobs.
|Job Listings |
Here are our current job openings. Please view the details for more information, and apply from that page if you are interested.
Then under ALL WALMART CAREERS are listed these areas:
|• Sam's Club |
• Corporate Offices
|• International |
When you click on the ALL WALMART CAREERS you come to this career page of many many opportunities!
So maybe you just have to LESS FUSSY in this economy and grow your job by doing your work excellently!
Actually on the left side, I have listed all the appropriate pages of Primerica where you become your own boss and YOU decide how much you make. Granted it is NOT for everyone but by working at it, even people who have been in job-training schools have risen to open their own branches.
It is a job which helps middle class families that most other institutions have abandoned because they can make more money from the wealthy. Primerica helps families become debt-free and financially independent.
Oh yes, if you search the internet, you can find junk as well as good stuff written about Primerica. But remember anyone can write anything on the internet. I have some 30 websites and blogs myself. I don't lie but if I had no integrity I could make up all kinds of stuff.
If you read the business opportunity presented by Primerica you will see the truth. The company is growing and made over 1/2 billion dollars last year while many others including Citigroup floundered for a while.
You have to have a pleasant personality, like people and want to help them because that is what the job is all about. It is NOT pushing useless products on them to make money. It is helping them buy WHAT they need not what you can sell them.
Enough for today. It is tomorrow already.
[The logos at the top are just a few stores that seem to be growing in this tough economy.]